Sometimes the most relatable characters, the most meaningful lines, and the most eye-opening stories are fictional. The writers of these lines did an incredible job of bringing their stories to life and connecting with their audience through thought-provoking nuggets of wisdom. For each of these, consider what the writer is saying and think about how it can apply to your life.
- “If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.”
– Isaac Jaffe, Sports Night
- “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”
– Winnie the Pooh
- “It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness; that is life”
– Jean-Luc Picard
- “Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.”
- If you look for the light, you can often find it. But if you look for the dark, that is all you will ever see.
- “When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change”. – Aang.
- ‘Can a man still be brave if he’s afraid?’ ‘That is the only time a man can be brave,’ his father told him.”
A Game of Thrones – George R.R. Martin
- “You waste time trying to get people to love you, you’ll end up the most popular dead man in town.”
– Ser Bronn of the Blackwater
- “I survived because the fire inside me burned brighter than the fire around me”
– Joshua Graham from Fallout: New Vegas.
- “Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.”
- “You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.”
-Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight (2008)
- “There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
– Kvothe in The Wise Man’s Fear
- “I know what you would say, and it would sound like wisdom but for the warning in my heart.”
Bonus quote for laughs:
- “You Miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take” – Wayne Gretzky – Michael Scott.
What are some other meaningful quotes you know from fictional characters?